Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » Discoverer 4i
Discoverer 4i [message #174267] Sat, 27 May 2006 01:07 Go to next message
mdmravi
Hello

Created Business group based on Apps related tables thru Administration. In that Destop edition, i am unable to see the Business group what i've created in the Administration.

Actually i connected with apps/apps. how to solve this problem? Kindly help me out.

( But i can get the business group created based on scott/tiger)

Kindly reply.....

Thanks in advance

Regards,
MDM Ravi
Re: Discoverer 4i [message #174499 is a reply to message #174267] Mon, 29 May 2006 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skooman
Hi,
If you want to user Discoverer on Apps, you have to
(a) create the EUL in apps mode
(b) grant administration rights to an EBS user + responsibility
(c) connect to Discoverer (both administration and end user edition) using an EBS username and responsibility.

You can read more about this in the last chapter of the Administrator Guide.

You have created the folder in "normal" mode, not involving any EBS security, therefor you can't see it in de user edition. That scott/tiger can see it, shows a leak in your security Wink because scott shouldn't have access to apps tables.

Regards,
Sabine
Re: Discoverer 4i [message #174674 is a reply to message #174499] Tue, 30 May 2006 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mdmravi
Hi,

Thanks for your response.. but still not able to clear in my EBS user/password. can u explain me more abt that? how to give that grant/previlege for that user? can i create new user??

looking for a reply...

Regards,
MDM
Re: Discoverer 4i [message #174777 is a reply to message #174674] Tue, 30 May 2006 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skooman
Hi,

Usually, the DBA will create the EUL for you, with an EUL owner (Oracle user). Furthermore, you should ask the apps administrator, to create to responsibilities: Discoverer Administrator and Discoverer User (or any names you like) and an EBS username for you and grant both new responsibilities to your EBS user.

Now, first start Discoverer Administrator connecting as the EUL owner. Then you can go to privileges and grant administrator privileges to the new responsiblity Discoverer Administrator and grant the user privileges to the new responsibility User.

Then start Discoverer Administrator again, connecting as your EBS username and check "connect as Oracle Applications user" (if you don't see this option on the log on screen, then type username: (colon) instead of just username).
Now Discoverer will ask you to choose a responsibility.

You can read more about this in the last chapter of the Discoverer Administrator reference.

Regards,
Sabine
Re: Discoverer 4i [message #174969 is a reply to message #174777] Wed, 31 May 2006 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mdmravi
Hi,

Thanks for your prompt help. We tried as u had written. There is EBS user named xyz. Now in discoverer administrator i gave admin and user priveleges to this user (xyz).

But not able to connect to discoverer administrator or discoverer
desktop using this user id or any EBS user id.

We are able to connect using database user id . Whether we enable or disable the checkbox no success with application user id. But able to connect using database user id like apps.

See xyz is a application user id that was created in sysadmin. In the priveleges ( discoverer admin when logged in using apps)
i do see the user xyz.

i could not use application user id for gettin into discoverer and i get ora 1017 error .

need some advice on how to solve this issue. if possible do send discoverer administrator pdf.

eagerly awaiting your reply..
regards
Re: Discoverer 4i [message #175174 is a reply to message #174969] Thu, 01 June 2006 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skooman
The administrator reference can be found at:
http://www.oracle.com/technology/documentation/discoverer.html

BTW: you mention that XYZ is created by sysadmin, therefor I guess it can't possibly be an "true" EBS user. Did you contact the EBS administrator to help you? Because you are really not working with an EBS user account I believe. Does the database know the account? If you select user_name from all_users, does that XYZ name show up? If so, it's not an EBS user... If you select user_name from fnd_user, does it show up? If so, it's an EBS user.
For EBS users, it's no use granting privileges to a user, you have to grant it to a responsibility instead.

Regards,
Sabine
Re: Discoverer 4i [message #175181 is a reply to message #175174] Thu, 01 June 2006 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mdmravi
Hi,

Grateful for your reply. I checked the user name in fnd_user and it's there (xyz). So it's a EBS User.

"it's no use granting privileges to a user, you have to grant it to a responsibility instead" as quoted by you

Now i could not understand "grant it to a responsibility instead"
this part. Could you please enlighten me.

How to grant responsibity for that user? (or even what responsibity is needed to be granted)

regards
Re: Discoverer 4i [message #175184 is a reply to message #175181] Thu, 01 June 2006 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skooman
Responsibilities are created and granted to EBS users in EBS. After that, you can grant Discoverer privileges to the responsibilities, just like you would normally grant to roles and/or users.

Regards,
Sabine
Re: Discoverer 4i [message #175711 is a reply to message #175184] Mon, 05 June 2006 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mdmravi
Hi,

Had been trying to use Discoverer using EBS user. Still not successful.

I am able to connect with database users but not with ebs users.

One of the problem i am getting is that when i run EUL wizard in the create new user option i have the check box 'new user for oracle application user' remains disabled.

Could u hint where does the problem lie.

regards ravi
Re: Discoverer 4i [message #175771 is a reply to message #175711] Mon, 05 June 2006 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skooman
Hi,

I'm beginning to suspect you didn't create the EUL "in apps mode" (checkbox at the beginning of the wizard for a new EUL), is that correct?
If so, you can either change that in an existing EUL (go to tools, options, connection, choose either "connect to applications EULs" or "both" and fill in the required fields for applications EULs (bottom of that same screen).
Than while logging on, make sure you check the apps connection (bottom of logon screen).

Anyway it would be useful if you tell me what you see on that tools, options, connect screen. Maybe that will help in solving your problem.

Regards,
Sabine

PS I'm happy to help you, but it might be faster to ask Support to help you. To do so, you can create a service request at metalink (requires an CSI number, that's the Oracle support license number).

[Updated on: Mon, 05 June 2006 05:29]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Discoverer 4i [message #175776 is a reply to message #175771] Mon, 05 June 2006 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mdmravi
Hi ,

In Discoverer Administration edition, I login as (apps/apps) without checking the Oracle application user. If i check that ( i am not able to connect any EBS user)

In tools, option , connection tab,
1. checked ( connect to both standard and application EULs
2. application EUL settings
a. Gateway userid --- APPLSYSPUB/PUB
B. Foundation name --- APPS

So above is the settings present.

Ok Now i try to create a new EUL user. I go to Create EUL wizard.
And i find is - the option of 'Create a new user' always disabled
The radio button simply i cannot select as it's disabled. Why ?

I have not been able to figure out.

I created EUl user with existing users, But it won't matter as still i am not able to connect with EBS user id.( ya i do tick the check box of 'connect with application user id' ).

Please do suggest me where to look for the solution. I can send u the screen shots, if some mail id is provided

regards ravi
Re: Discoverer 4i [message #176269 is a reply to message #175776] Wed, 07 June 2006 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skooman
Ok, Ravi,

Here we go... Wink

Users can only be created at either Oracle database (instance) or EBS level, not through Discoverer. What you tried with the EUL wizard, was to actually create another EUL, not just a new user... The only thing that can be done in Discoverer is granting access and privileges to existing users and roles/responsibilities.

Using a username that is properly created in EBS (and granted the responsibility we've discussed before), then you can check this "apps mode" while connecting.

This does not work as user APPS, since APPS is a very specific user I think no one should ever be using except some DBA's or EBS administrators maybe... It's the only user that can connect with the database (directly I mean, using something like SQL*Plus or Discoverer or..., and not through EBS) and still see all EBS objects.

If you accidentely created the EUL under user APPS, please ask your DBA to help you undo that (there are remove scripts in the Discoverer directories) and start all over again with a (newly created Oracle) user.

So, first step I would suggest: try to connect using another EBS user than Apps and let me know the result!

Regards,
Sabine
Re: Discoverer 4i [message #176339 is a reply to message #176269] Thu, 08 June 2006 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mdmravi
Hi,

Thanks for ur prompt reply. Well could you tell me what responsibities to be attached to a EBS user so as he can connect to discoverer.

Ok , what i have been doing was ---- say xyz is the EBS user

In sysadmin for this user im attach following responsibilities :-

1) Discoverer BIS
2) Discoverer catalog
3) Discoverer EUL manager

One by one i attached the responsibility and checked in discoverer login( with application users checked check box) once again the same error ora-01017 error.

Now could u please suggest what responsibities are to be attached to EBS users for discoverer usage.

Our DBA is on Leave , but with his help we plan to reinstall Discoverer.

Till then i will be trying on ur suggestions . Will let u know of any progress.

regards ravi Razz
Re: Discoverer 4i [message #176638 is a reply to message #176339] Fri, 09 June 2006 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skooman
Hi Ravi,

The responsibilities you tried, are all intended for specific additional products for EBS, so you could use them but it's better to create your own new responsibilities.

Let's go through it step by thep, let's say the EUL owner's username (database username) is "EUL_OWNER" and your EBS account (just EBS, no database username) is "MY_EBS_NAME"

Login in to EBS, choose the responsibility System administrator or something (don't know the name that's used in your EBS environment - it should be a responsibility that can create and alter users and responsibilities - if necessary ask the EBS admininistrator to grant this to you).
Go to the screen "manage responsibilities", create 2 new responsibilities: "Discoverer users" and "Discoverer administrator" (ask your EBS administrator what he/she wants you to fill in for the other fields on the screen).

Go to the screen maintain users, query for "MY_EBS_NAME" and grant the responsibilities Discoverer administrator and Discoverer Users to it. If you want, grant the responsibility Discoverer Users to other EBS users.

Then start Discoverer Administrator and login as "EUL_OWNER" (so, not as an EBS user). Go to privileges and grant all administrator privileges to the responsibility Discoverer administrator and grant all user privileges to the responsibility DIscoverer users.

Then restart Discoverer Administrator and login as "MY_EBS_NAME", check the option Apps user and choose the responsibility Discoverer Administrator.

Now you should be able to create business area's etc. After creating a new business area, go to securty (right mouse click on the business area name) and grant access to your business area to the responsibility Discoverer Users.

This way, you only have to manage everything in Discoverer for the two responsibilities and not for individual users...

Success!

Regards,
Sabine
Re: Discoverer 4i [message #177694 is a reply to message #176638] Fri, 16 June 2006 02:09 Go to previous message
mdmravi
Hi,

I suspected some problem with installation. So reinstalled discoverer but still the problem continues.

See I created two responsibilities 'Discoverer Admin' and 'Discoverer user' as mentioned by you in EBS using sysadmin responsibily.

Attached the responsibilities to EBS user name 'ravi_discovrer'

Logged in discovrer administrator with 'xyz' (database user name)
went to priveleges but not able to find the responsibilities
'Discovrer Admin' or 'Discovrer user'.

U had mentioned that i should give admin privileges to 'Discovrer admin' and user priveleges to 'Discovrer User'

This step i want to do but i am not finding 'Discovrer admin' or
'Discovrer User' anywhere in the discovrer administrator.

Went to tools->priveleges and in the combo box i tried to find
'Discovrer admin' 'Discovrer admin' no success.Even i checked the user/role tab no success.(only database users are listed like gl,ap etc.)

Could u suggest me where my problem lies

regards ravi

Previous Topic: generate report as per my reqirement in report 6i
Next Topic: REP-0736: There exist uncompiled program unit(s).
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 30 11:19:03 CDT 2024