Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » Barcode Problem
Barcode Problem [message #174600] Tue, 30 May 2006 01:07 Go to next message
samit_gandhi

Dear All,

I have to create the barcode for my product. I have never used barcode till today. Can anyone help me how to create the barcode in oracle reports? Which font to be used for that which is free ? And what is the procedure to create the barcode. Any tutorial will be good for me.

samit gandhi
Re: Barcode Problem [message #174621 is a reply to message #174600] Tue, 30 May 2006 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Barcode is just another representation of text you'd usually write using an "ordinary" font (like Times New Roman or Ariel or ...). To use it, purchase (or find a free barcode font), such as IDAutomation.com Code39.

While in Report Builder, text which should be displayed as barcode should begin and end with an asterisk (*) sign. In Paper Layout, select this text (or item) and change its font to the one you have installed previously.

For example, if you want to display a string 30052006-01, you would put it as *30052006-01*. If you don't do that, barcode reader will not be able to recognize it.

Also, you might need to set the reader up, in order to correctly display text; for example, this string could have been recognized as 30052006'01 which you don't want. Therefore, in User's Manual select Swedish keyboard emulation and set the reader to it.

This was just an example - perhaps you won't have to set it up at all (everything will be OK), but - before putting the report into production, I'd suggest you to check it with the barcode reader. It would be embarrassing if it couldn't read the barcode.
Re: Barcode Problem [message #174671 is a reply to message #174600] Tue, 30 May 2006 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
samit_gandhi

I have make the barcode as u have told me from free 3 of 9 barcode font which is available on most of the websites. but when i am trying to scan it with my barcode reader it is not reading. I have metrologic barcode reader and the barcode printer is zebra and Dymo Labelwriter.

What is the possibility for that??

waiting for ur reply

samit gandhi
Re: Barcode Problem [message #174683 is a reply to message #174671] Tue, 30 May 2006 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Did you include asterisk signs, such as *30052006-01* ?

Try to print the same string from MS Word (or similar program) and compare it to the one printed with Dymo Labelwriter. Especially pay attention to two consecutive bold black lines:
- when printed from Word, there should be white space between them
- when printed from Report Builder, there's a possibility that there is NO white space in between -> this will cause reading to fail.

If you use 10g (or 9i), make sure that you have installed a printer (any printer, a dummy one, HP2200 for example) on the Application server (and Database server; would make no harm). For some reason, if there's no printer on IAS or DBS, output is scrambled.
Re: Barcode Problem [message #174698 is a reply to message #174683] Tue, 30 May 2006 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
samit_gandhi

i tried it like that they both are same. no change in the coding printing.

i am confuse what to do . One more thing i am using the view for the same.

if u have any report like this can u send me.
Re: Barcode Problem [message #176995 is a reply to message #174600] Mon, 12 June 2006 06:09 Go to previous message
Rehan Mirza

See this link for Barcode

Click here.

Best regards
R E H A N M I R Z A
Previous Topic: How to make parameter gray in 11i ?
Next Topic: Very Urgent
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 30 11:06:39 CDT 2024