risy_s

hi everybody

As per oracle dataguard documents they suggest two type of role transition
1. switchover: which is reversible
for this v r using 'alter database commit to switchover to physical standby;
and 'alter database commit to switchover to primary;
2. failover: we cant go revert back ones v do failover
for this v r using 'alter database commit to switchover to primary'
3rd option which i got from net and also suggested by our former dba.. that is 'activating standby database' using sql command 'alter database activate standby database'
my doubts r
1)wat is the difference between "failover" and "activating standby database" in both case we cant go revert back
2)why oracle has not mentioned this option in their doc.'concept and admin. Oracle data guard 9.2' chapter no. 7(Role Management)

i m eagerly waiting for ur replies.....

Thanks in advance

Re: role transitions [message #217708 is a reply to message #175624] Mon, 05 February 2007 00:13 Go to previous message
sharan alva
Both failover and activating the standby is non reversible.
In the earlier days version 7 the only way to open the standby was to issue the activate command, this forces the standby open, but later on they added the failover option. With the failover option you can recover until the last scn available, this is especially handy if you are using standby redo logs then it will read the standby redo logs ( alter database recover managed standby database finish )thus reducing the data loss. Where as in activate standby command we are simply opening the database at that point. refer note 227196 metalink ..
Previous Topic: Error in sending logs to standby
Next Topic: Dataguard info
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:03:51 CDT 2024