Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » Inserting Page Breaks after 'n' records
icon4.gif  Inserting Page Breaks after 'n' records [message #179081] Sat, 24 June 2006 23:08 Go to next message
harry1122
Hi,
I am facing a strange request from a client who is using Discoverer reports. the client want to be able to choose the number of records displayed per page when exporting the report and/or print. the number of records is to be dynamic and can vary for the same report every time it is run. i have already pointed it out that page breaks can be inserted at each group and subgroup level. but he is adamant that the number of records to be printed per page has to be a dynamic run time input. can any of you help in this matter?? even if it is not possible is there any workaround like when the user clicks on the print button, i change the underlying logic to take a user input to insert page break after a specified number of lines of a group/subgroup.

thanks in advance
Re: Inserting Page Breaks after 'n' records [message #179106 is a reply to message #179081] Sun, 25 June 2006 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
Hm. You can set the maximum records per page if I'm not mistaken. But I doubt that you can set it dynamically (at runtime).

MHE
Re: Inserting Page Breaks after 'n' records [message #181329 is a reply to message #179106] Sat, 08 July 2006 15:10 Go to previous message
dude4084
i can try to give u idea.

Assume
1) there are 80 records possible on ONE page
2) We are using famous EMP table having 60 records
3) User has given 7 as input. Thus 7 records as required to be diaplyed on per page

Make a function as following.
(Please correct the syntax yourself as i dont have SQL installe on this PC, so sonsider my guidence as PSedocode)

create or replace function myreport
(PIN_records number(2)) RETURN CHAR IS
mrecord number(2):=PIN_records
mcount number(2):= 1;
ans varchar2(99999):= null;
begin

Select j in (Select * from emp) loop

mans = mans || j.ename ||to_char(sal)
mcount = mcount+1;

If mcount = mrecord then

for k in mcount..80
mans = mans || CHR(10);

end for
mcount:=1;

end if;

end loop

after creating this function, call the rpeort as follow

Select myreport(7) from dual;
Thats All!

========================
Note:
--CHR(10) Gives Cariage Return/ Enter Key/ New Line
--You have to tackle the headers as well. You can do it in functions
--Flexibility gone as we are treating all COLUMNS as CHARACTER
--The TOTAL ouput can not be greater than 99999 width. Dont know the upper limit.

=========================

It is just an idea to work on
Hope for the best

-Dude

Previous Topic: diaplay image in report
Next Topic: a problem with oracle rep server (oc4j)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 30 11:15:09 CDT 2024