Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » Help with Discoverer Viewer
Help with Discoverer Viewer [message #181761] Tue, 11 July 2006 08:01 Go to next message
adeli
Hi all,

I posted this in the Application Server forum, but this forum may be more appropriate. I have installed the 10g Application Server (infrastructure and BI section). I can go to the discoverer viewer URL, define a connection and view workbooks stored in my EUL. The problem is that if I go to another computer and open the discoverer viewer URL, I need to setup the connection again, something that I do not want. I would prefer if I could define a connection's basic information at a central computer (i.e., where the application server is installed) and then the user will be asked for his/her login and password at a login screen. Is there an easy way to do this? I tried using a public connection but the problem is that everyone seems to connect with the same login, which is undesirable.

Thank you,
Antonios

ps: I read something while doing a google search that I need Oracle Applications, but I do not know how to determine if I already have them installed or how to configure them (i.e., using a URL).
Re: Help with Discoverer Viewer [message #181823 is a reply to message #181761] Tue, 11 July 2006 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bsmith18
Antonios,

Keep in mind the eul is meant to segregate your users. I.E. separate euls for different departments within your organization such as HR, ACCOUNTING, FACILITIES, MANAGEMENT, and etc. I would recommend creating separate database schemas for each eul so you can define your privileges to the objects within the database and your eul privileges to your workbooks/worksheets to each eul. Additionally, this will allow easier export/import capability of euls or objects between euls. This way each schema has its own login that only has the privilege to see the objects it should. If you have a common table that contains the data that all euls would query, I would recommend setting up a view that has a specific where clause to view only the data the group should be allowed to see. Then grant the privilege for that eul to view the workbook that uses that specific view that schema has permission to view. You could use the same view and paramenterize the where clause, but you'd have to write an app to do that, which only complicates matters. I don't know if you are using eulapi, which is a Linux api that will allow you to setup your eul's and grant permissions or if you are using Oracle Discoverer Administrator, but I've had problems in some cases using Discoverer Administrator, whereas not so with the eulapi. However, I'm on a Linux environment, which I'm not sure if you are or not. I hope this helps.
Re: Help with Discoverer Viewer [message #181857 is a reply to message #181823] Tue, 11 July 2006 23:26 Go to previous message
adeli
Thank you for your reply. I am currently using Discoverer administrator to setup priviledges.

However, my problem is how can I define a connection that everyone in ANY computer can access using the discoverer viewer URL, but for each user a login/password screen is required (so that they can log in and see the workbooks that they have the right to access). Right now I can only define a public connection where the login name is fixed for everyone and only the password is requested.

Antonios
Previous Topic: <ALL> Option in LOV
Next Topic: how when new group when start new page
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 30 11:05:06 CDT 2024