Home » Other » Suggestions & Feedback » Save text in composition window
Save text in composition window [message #188476] Fri, 18 August 2006 13:13 Go to next message
Frank
I recently installed the Quick Save plugin into my Squirrelmail server. It is simply great: every n seconds (configurable) it saves the contents of the message I am composing. If I go to another page by accident (e.g. pressing backspace when the textblock lost focus) and I return to the page I get a javascript popup asking if I would want to recover my text.
It happened quite often, also in this forum that I lost a lot of text because of some stupid action (by myself;-))
Maybe an idea to implement here? I cannot find the licensing conditions for it, but squirrelmail itself is licensed under GPL.

[Edit: hmm, looking at the code, the way they implemented it, it uses a fixed frame in which the data is saved. Guess that would not be so easy to implement. Ah well, would have liked the idea though]

[Updated on: Sat, 19 August 2006 02:37]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Save text in composition window [message #189708 is a reply to message #188476] Fri, 25 August 2006 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
I agree, the concept sounds great. However, I'm not sure how easy it would be to implement.
Re: Save text in composition window [message #191005 is a reply to message #188476] Mon, 04 September 2006 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
If you have a long reply then compose it in a flat editor and then paste it into the 'post'.

I have had this problem bite me in the past and make a point to ALWAYS 'Ctrl-A' and 'Ctrl-C' the contents before pressing 'Submit Reply'.

David
Re: Save text in composition window [message #191014 is a reply to message #191005] Mon, 04 September 2006 02:21 Go to previous message
Frank
The problem with me is usually not the Submit-time, but a page-transition because of either stupidity of mine (e.g. backspace when the textbox no longer has focus is a big #1), or some other program opening a page in the same window/tab as my edit..
But, editing in a separate editor might be a good idea if you plan to write a longer response.
Previous Topic: Volunteers to administrate the Wiki
Next Topic: not able to download samples
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:59:52 CDT 2024