Home » Other » Suggestions & Feedback » Backend Structure?  () 1 Vote
Backend Structure? [message #207519] Tue, 05 December 2006 21:18 Go to next message
ehegagoka
hi!,
just curious =) is there an article on how this forum was built? i mean it's internal structure? does it use a database? and how about the moderators? do they all work on ORAFAQ? do each moderator see each other? have there ever been an "eye-ball" or a gathering of members, sorry for the question if it's confidential, thank you so much sir/mam

rhani
Re: Backend Structure? [message #207540 is a reply to message #207519] Tue, 05 December 2006 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
There is no such article and we don't plan on publishing one either. Not that it is a secret, but keeping the internal workings confidential helps to protect the site against hackers trying to exploit known vulnerabilities. Anyway, the forum doesn't run on Oracle, so the members would probably not be too interested.

And - no, we never had an official meet-up. I've met some of the users on this forum. Though, I cannot remember ever meeting one the other moderators.
Re: Backend Structure? [message #207543 is a reply to message #207540] Wed, 06 December 2006 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ehegagoka
hi!,
thanks sir, that's great really, i cant imagine how do the moderators handle/maintain this site without "meeting", I mean how is it fix if something goes wrong..etc... hmmm oh well thanks again sir, this forum really is fully organized and stable.

rhani
Re: Backend Structure? [message #207547 is a reply to message #207543] Wed, 06 December 2006 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
We 'meet' virtually. I can't think of anything for which a face-to-face meeting would be required. Basically, if you answer enough questions and the other moderators are comfortable with your answers and attitude, you will probably be asked if you wish to be a moderator. You then have the opportunity to either accept the responsibility and authority of a moderator or refuse the offer.

David
Re: Backend Structure? [message #207552 is a reply to message #207547] Wed, 06 December 2006 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ehegagoka
hi!,

thanks sir, so that about how to be a moderator, hmmm a big responsibility for me, to handle such a huge forum. you really must be an oracle expert to be a moderator on this forum, with an all day internet he9x, a lot of IT companies here only provide limited access to internet, you cant even download tools from oracle site. Anyways im getting a much more clearer view of how and who runs this site day by day.

regards,
rhani
Re: Backend Structure? [message #207732 is a reply to message #207552] Wed, 06 December 2006 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Like all big things, just work though them one at a time. Not all moderators, or members, look at every post or forum. We each have an area in which we are confident to give advice. Also, you don't have to be right ALL the time, just most of the time. Smile Being wrong proves that you are human.

You also don't need a wide network link, I have assisted on this forum while using a 56k modem connection.

Like most employers, my current contract provider is quite content for me to answer entries in this forum as long as I don't do it to the detriment of my paid work. Enlightened organisations realise that self-education is the main method for their workers to keep up to date with their field. Answering posts in the one forum which covers an area in which I have worked for nearly 13 years helps me remember the problems that I have had to handle during those years.

David
Re: Backend Structure? [message #207748 is a reply to message #207732] Wed, 06 December 2006 19:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ehegagoka
hi!,
i wish i could get into those companies where it is allowed to use forums, others think that when you want to surf the net for forums, they think that you dont know how to program and that you're not really good, I've been told like that many times during interviews, when I say that one of my resources are these forums they say that I dont know the language very well. thanks again sir for your replies =)

rhani
Re: Backend Structure? [message #207755 is a reply to message #207748] Wed, 06 December 2006 20:53 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
It has happened to me. I had a very short contract that wanted me to set up the Designer and Forms environments using the latest releases, that I instruct the four newbies in running and using Designer and Forms, and do it all without access to the web (the facility was changing web supplier). Anyway, I bundled up all my current documentation white papers and tutorials, printed out all the new features documents at home, arrived at the new job verified their release numbers and made a call to a previous installation to verify that there had been nothing new to the Designer's SCM (source code management). I then spent the afternoon designing the data structure with the Project Lead.

I came in the next morning and was fired for non-performance. No discussion would be entered into by them. My crimes were that I had had to bring in documentation and that I had had to make a phone call to verify something.

Three months later, after no local agency would supply them with alternate candidates, the non-local ones started to ring me. Three months after that the project was folded.

David

PS. I don't surf the forums. This is the only one on which I help out.

[Updated on: Wed, 06 December 2006 20:56]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Threads regarding design
Next Topic: Url - Get's "Cut"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 06:17:25 CDT 2024