Home » Server Options » Data Guard » REDO LOGS IN STANDBY DATABASE
icon5.gif  REDO LOGS IN STANDBY DATABASE [message #222081] Thu, 01 March 2007 12:40 Go to next message
alertmax
in the data guard....
when i create the control file for the standby database

"ALTER DATABASE CREATE STANDBY CONTROLFILE AS 'C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\standby\CONTROL_01.CTL';"

the localization of database files of my new control file (standby) is setting to the directories of the database standby

but the redo log files of my standby control file is setting to the directory of the main database

is that right?? the standby database have the same redo logs of the main database??

THanks

[Updated on: Thu, 01 March 2007 12:42]

Report message to a moderator

Re: REDO LOGS IN STANDBY DATABASE [message #222467 is a reply to message #222081] Mon, 05 March 2007 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kmkumar24
Hi,

You should not have the same redologs for standby also. You have to create a new online redof log for standby database too.

Re: REDO LOGS IN STANDBY DATABASE [message #225537 is a reply to message #222081] Tue, 20 March 2007 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
amit_p_dixit

hi,

pls dont use the redo logs files of the PR on ur standby database...

u have to create standby redo log on the standby database and also create standby redo on PR db which will be helpful 4 u during swithover.

Regards,
Amit D
Re: REDO LOGS IN STANDBY DATABASE [message #226985 is a reply to message #222081] Tue, 27 March 2007 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mohammad Taj

Hi,
We need to take backup only datafile and create controlfile for standby database ... for redo log it will created automatic when standby database is open..

regards
Taj
Re: REDO LOGS IN STANDBY DATABASE [message #235013 is a reply to message #226985] Thu, 03 May 2007 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mlgoins

I see conflicting information about standby redo logs in the online documentation: some places say it's always needed, some say only under certain circumstances. If I understand Taj correctly, they are optional (just maybe not in every case). Section 5.3.3.3. of the online documentation states: "Although standby redo logs are only used when the database is running in the physical standby role, Oracle Corporation recommends that you create standby redo logs on the primary database so that the primary database can switch over quickly to a standby role without the need for DBA intervention." [I don't think switchover can occur without DBA intervention anyway.]
Re: REDO LOGS IN STANDBY DATABASE [message #235225 is a reply to message #235013] Fri, 04 May 2007 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sriram717
Hi
Stanby RedoLogs are mandatory when operating with lgwr mode of log transport(Max Availability and Max Protection)
Yes it will be aiding a smooth failover if it is present regradless of the protecion modes.Optional with max perfromance mode.

In oracle 10g with fast start failover you have a failover with out a DBA intervention.

Thanks
Re: REDO LOGS IN STANDBY DATABASE [message #236970 is a reply to message #222081] Fri, 11 May 2007 08:13 Go to previous message
mlgoins

To the original question (location of standby redo logs), be sure you set the following parameters in the Standby Database:

log_file_name_convert
standby_archive_dest

It's an ugly thing to NOT set log_file_name_convert and db_file_name_convert...

Mike
Previous Topic: urgent please
Next Topic: Standby DB as Read-Only
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 02:17:07 CDT 2024