Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » Can we set the priority in Oracle Reports ?
Can we set the priority in Oracle Reports ? [message #231036] Fri, 13 April 2007 13:54 Go to next message
rkhatiwala
Can we set the priority in Oracle Reports ? Say, for example, we have scheduled weekly reports ( around 40 - 50 reports) that runs 1st of every month at 9AM. While these reports are still running , we want to run an adhoc report , which canbe for last one week. Can we set the priority such that adhoc report is executed first ? Or is it something like they both will run parallel in different sessions ?

Thanks.
Re: Can we set the priority in Oracle Reports ? [message #231252 is a reply to message #231036] Mon, 16 April 2007 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
To me, it seems to be a scheduling issue, not Reports one.

Scheduled reports will run when they are scheduled and, I guess, save the result into a file on hard disk. You'll view them some time later.

Report you'd like to run now don't have anything to do with scheduled reports. If all of them contain only SELECT statements, the will not block each other (two readers, right?).

So: what prevents you to run any report whenever you like? Perhaps I didn't understand your problem, so - could you explain it again?
Re: Can we set the priority in Oracle Reports ? [message #231334 is a reply to message #231036] Mon, 16 April 2007 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rkhatiwala
May be I couldnt explain it clearly..

We have a batch job that runs 50 scheduled reports. Say, now 9th report is still running and an adhoc report is requested. what will happen then ?
1). will it finish all the 50 reports first, and then execute the adhoc as the 51st report ? -- not desirable
2). or will it finish the currently running 9th report and then execute the adhoc. When adhoc is done, then resumes the running of 10th scheduled report ? -- highly desirable.
3). or will it stop running the 9th report, and start running the adhoc report ? if so, then how to resume the 9th report ? -- not desirable

please help
Re: Can we set the priority in Oracle Reports ? [message #231367 is a reply to message #231334] Mon, 16 April 2007 15:09 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
It must be me and lack of English comprehension ... I apologize if it sounds insane, but let me try.

"Will it finish", "will it stop", ... - what is it? Is it a batch job? So, basically, you schedule 50 reports in a job and go out for a weekend. When you're back on Monday, you just collect reports' results and that's it. Right?

And sometimes you want to run a report which has nothing to do with a scheduled job. You don't even have to know which report runs at the moment. So, in order to run it, you connect to your application, select this particular report in a menu and run it.

I can't understand what would prevent you from doing this? Why do you have to take care about batch job progress? Scheduled reports will run in an order you told them to. Your standalone report can be run anytime.

Obviously, I'm incapable to figure that out and I'm sorry for not being able to help you, but - I don't see a problem here.
Previous Topic: Blank page printing
Next Topic: Blank Page & Arabic Problem in PDF
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 04 12:07:00 CDT 2024