Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » printing without driver
printing without driver [message #233730] Fri, 27 April 2007 04:33 Go to next message
seddik_saber
i'm working in great Enterprise (over 1000 pc's and over 100 printers), and we have migrate our application from forms/reports 3 to forms/report6i (windows based).
we have a problem with printing reports that a driver must be defined of each printer on each pc( each reports must printed on specific printer an ver are different format, or tray).
i ask if there are a solution to print reports to printer without needing to install this printers; as for example send the reports via IPP or other .
thanks and excuse my english
Re: printing without driver [message #233764 is a reply to message #233730] Fri, 27 April 2007 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
So, you'd like to drive a car without a car? In that case - use a simulator!

You might install a PDF printer; there are free solutions which can be found on the Internet (such as Cute PDF). It would enable users to create a PDF file which could be read on any PC (using Acrobat Reader) or printed on any printer.

If you don't want to install printers all over the network, perhaps you could form some kind of a print center - one (or more) PCs with a folder available to all users. They would copy their PDFs there, and operator would print them.

However: if you do that, you'll have to visit each of those 1000 PCs, so - it is probably the same whether you install Cute PDF or HP4350 (for example).

I'm sorry if this wasn't helpful, but - I wouldn't know how to print without a printer (installed on a PC, either directly or through the network).
Re: printing without driver [message #233788 is a reply to message #233730] Fri, 27 April 2007 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
seddik_saber
no Smile that's not what i want i want to print without installing printer driver on the pc's. but there are printers.
as for example send a poscript file directl to the printer(IPP or something else).
Re: printing without driver [message #233865 is a reply to message #233788] Fri, 27 April 2007 16:12 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Printer driver is a software that serves as the communication link between applications and the page-description language used by printers.

So, if you don't install printer driver, how do you expect your application to communicate with printer? Even if it is post script, you'd still need a post script printer driver.

Perhaps there is a shortcut to your problem's resolution, but - to me - it seems that sooner you start visiting PC's, sooner you'll finish it.
Previous Topic: RWCLIENT AND ERRFILE PROBLEM
Next Topic: editing margin - frames visible around field
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 04 11:47:47 CDT 2024